Tuesday 14 January 2014

Soup, Glorious Soup

One of my closest friends came over today for a visit to help rescue my lack of sanity. So I made tomato soup for us for lunch.

The recipe came out of a magazine called “Cooking for One or Two” that my mom found several years ago. I copied a whole bunch of recipes out of it when I moved, and still use some of them. But I fell out of the habit of making this recipe, resorting to the convenience (and the salt) of canned soup. The trouble with canned tomato soup at the moment is that it’s all “Cream of Tomato”, and dairy just isn’t going down well. I took a leap and experimented with cheese again on Sunday (shameful cheese at that, I won’t go into it), and it was not a happy thing.

This one, thankfully, is easily done dairy free.

Grandma’s Tomato Soup

2 tbsp of butter or margarine
1 tbsp of flour
2 cups tomato juice
½ cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1/8 tsp of salt
3/4 cup of cooked wide egg noodles (optional)

In saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour, stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add tomato juice and water, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add sugar and salt. Stir in egg noodles in desired and heat through.

I left out the noodles and served it up with crackers and bread that I made in the bread machine earlier this week. I forgot to take pictures, but my friend took the recipe!

I had bought a butternut squash last week with the intention of making more ravioli with it, and realised that I really needed to cook it up before it went off. So I peeled it, chopped it and put it in the steamer. After everything was really soft, I dumped the water out of the steamer, threw the squash in there and purred the hell out of it with the hand blender. Then as I was seriously lacking spoons, put it in a container and put in the fridge until I could deal with it.


Butternut squash is one of those foods where there is a lot of conflicting information when it comes to low-residue, low-fibre diets. It doesn’t have as much fibre as a winter squash and doesn’t have the stringy bits that a spaghetti squash does, but isn’t as low fibre as a summer squash. I love butternut squash soup, and usually use this recipe - http://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-course/starters/simple-butternut-squash-soup/

Of course, I can’t use onions or garlic at the moment. So I chucked the puree in a pot with some onion granules and garlic powder (it still makes me cringe every time I write that), and used the turkey stock I had in the freezer from cooking that turkey leg a few weeks ago.


It was tasty, if not possibly a little thick as I really didn’t have enough stock for the amount of squash I put in. I didn’t have a particularly happy tummy afterwards though. But that was the same day I experimented with cheese, so it’s hard to know which did it. Oh well. It was worth a go. And the rest of that puree did eventually make it into some ravioli.


No comments:

Post a Comment