Sunday 26 January 2014

Dairy Free Lasagne

I feel wrong just writing those words. But that’s what I made yesterday. Seriously! I can hear the Italian mothers of friends back in Canada tutting at the whole idea.

While lying awake in my usual Prednisolone induced insomnia state (it’s now been seven weeks since I had a full night’s sleep!), I had the thought that I could use that Dairy-Free Alfredo sauce I made last week as white sauce in a lasagne. So I thought I would give it a go and see how it turned out.

I made the Alfredo Sauce exactly the same way as I did on the previous post - http://foodlovingcrohnie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/experiments-in-pasta-making-part-3.html

I cooked up a sort of bolognaise. I browned about 1/4lb of extra lean beef mince in a bit of olive oil, added about half a jar of passata, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and a bit of sugar (cuts the acidity in the tomatoes) and cooked that until it thickened.

I also had some spinach to use up, so I steamed that.



I could have made fresh lasagne noodles, but was feeling lazy and had some no pre-cooking required lasagne noodles in the cupboard. I put a bit of the red sauce on the bottom, then a layer of noodles. Then I put some of the white sauce in, then noddles, then red sauce . . . you get the picture. I didn’t have a lot of spinach, so it went in the middle layer. I topped it with more passata.

Then I put it in the oven at 180C/350F for 50 minutes.
It was pretty good! It’s not the same as a proper, mozzarella cheese filled lasagne, and it most certainly isn’t my friend’s Italian mother’s lasagne (I never turned down an invitation for dinner in that house, or an invitation to raid leftovers!), but for someone who hasn’t been able to do dairy for some time, it was a pretty good substitute. Hopefully it will freeze well like a proper lasagne. I’ll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment