Tuesday 14 January 2014

Adventures in Pasta Making Part 2

On Sunday, after a particularly bad day that a friend had to come and rescue me from, I forced myself out of a panic attack, self pity trip, moment of insanity, I-don’t-know-what-the-hell-happened-to-my-rational-brain, steroid induced bad spell by making sure I used up that leftover butternut squash puree.

At the very least, I find kneading dough very therapeutic, so I figured it would help take the edge off. As an aside, I used to do a lot of direct work with children, and always had play dough out and used it loads with the kids. They loved it, and never realised that it was meant to be therapeutic. Of course, they and the other staff never clued in that I was doing it as much for my own benefit as theirs . . . *whistles*

As I didn’t have as much puree as I thought as half of it went into soup, I only made half a recipe of pasta dough. I took head from the lessons learnt last time. I mixed it on a parchment lined cookie sheet and managed not to get egg everywhere this time. I also made sure that I didn’t attach the machine to the counter in front of the utensil drawer!
Much less messy on a baking tray!

Of course, what I forgot was to put a bit of dough through first to clean it. I put a big pile through, and realised that I had just wasted that first batch. Doh! Oh well. There wasn’t quite enough, but I didn’t have huge amounts of leftover squash either.






Doing this the second time around was a lot easier and faster. I think I’m getting the hang of it.

More manageable size of pasta sheets

For the squash filling, I adapted this recipe from the good ol’ Hairy Bikers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/butternut_squash_ravioli_31141

You have no idea how much I wanted to just make it exactly as they said, but alas, I had to adapt.

I used onion powder instead of the shallot, and used breadcrumbs to bind the mixture instead of the cheese. I didn’t add nutmeg and just used a bit of salt and pepper. Considerably more boring than theirs.

It was much messier to stuff than the turkey ravioli, and it kept trying to escape out of the pasta, but victory was eventually mine!

I haven’t tried it yet. I froze the lot of it in two batches for a couple of quick meals. I report back once I break them out!

A few tasty meals ahead! I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment