Monday 6 January 2014

Put Pork on Your Fork

On the suggestion of my very helpful butcher, I gave pork tenderloin a whirl this weekend. The pack he sold me had two pieces in it, so I did two different recipes on two different nights. I cooked one up with rice, and the other with couscous. Both were very tasty, went down with no difficulty and made some nice leftovers which I had for lunch the following day.

I don’t consider myself to be a huge pork eater. I used to spend a lot of time with friends who are Jewish, and just fell out of the habit of eating it for a long time. So I don’t tend to think about cooking it. Bacon excepted of course. Not that I can eat bacon at the moment as it is totally out of the question during a Crohn’s flare (*sobs*).


The first recipe came from my mom. I made a couple of adjustments, but not many.

1/3 cup of beef broth
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of garlic powder
Pinch of ginger
1 tbsp of honey
½ tsp of mustard powder (the recipe calls for 2 tsp of Chinese five spice, but I didn’t have any)
1 pork tenderloin

Mix first 6 ingredients in a small dish.  Place pork tenderloin in a foil lined baking dish and cover with sauce. Place in the fridge for about an hour.
Cook uncovered at 350F for about 20 to 25 minutes for a small tenderloin or 40 to 50 minutes for a larger piece.

My mom suggested putting a pan of water in the oven underneath to create steam. It came out soft and beautiful and tasted great! I forgot to take a picture of it. Thanks mom!

The second recipe actually came from a recipe in Diabetes UK’s magazine. I used to cook regularly for a Type 1 diabetic, so I have a lot of recipes from them floating around, many of which are quite good. I made quite a few changes though. The original recipe called for cooking it on a griddle, but I cooked it the same way as the one above in the oven with the pan of water underneath. This piece of meat wasn’t particularly big, so I didn’t make much marinade.

½ tsp of rosemary
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 pork tenderloin

Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a dish, and then add pork tenderloin. Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for about an hour. Cook uncovered at 350F for about 20 to 25 min for a small tenderloin or 40 to 50 min. for a larger piece.

Voila! Tasty piggy!


Being a rather reluctant vegetable eater, I decided through all of this experimenting that maybe I should take this opportunity to again try some veg that I don’t normally eat that are on the “go” list. So with the first tenderloin, I also used this recipe from Jeanette’s Healthy Living for Braised Asparagus Tips. http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2013/08/low-residue-diet-recipe-braised-asparagus-tips.html

As a cooking method, this has merit for sneakily adding more protein into my diet, especially as I make my own chicken broth from scratch. But you know what I decided?

I really don’t like asparagus!





No comments:

Post a Comment