Thursday 9 January 2014

Cooking Chicken Without Spoons

This week has seriously lacked spoons.
   
Not these kinds of spoons. Although these are pretty!

If you don’t know about “spoon theory”, this is what I mean  http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ It’s written about Lupus, but it really applies to any long term health condition, physical or mental.

Not these spoons either. But I think these are cool.
The Prednisolone has been totally playing with my head and my moods have been everywhere this week. Yesterday was not a good day, and it was very difficult to get motivated to eat (really not good when you’ve lost the amount of weight I have), never mind to cook. Fortunately, my boyfriend was willing to rescue me from the doldrums and came for dinner. Sometimes you need someone else to help you get motivated.

I had taken a big piece of chicken breast out of the freezer and needed to do something with it. Lacking spoons (the metaphorical ones, I had manage to run the dishwasher the day before), I wasn’t really sure what to do with it, so I made some good old chicken soup.

I threw the chicken in a pot, filled it with water, added a bit of salt, pepper, a bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and a bit of sage into it (don’t ask me quantities, I just put them in). The boyfriend chopped up some carrots and threw them in.

I boiled up some macaroni in a separate pot to go in it, as the last time I put the pasta in with the soup, it boiled off most of the stock! 

When the chicken was done, I took it out, and shredded it with two forks, and threw it back in the pot. It made loads, and fed both of us dinner and I had it again for lunch today. And there is still leftover chicken!

Lots of leftovers!
So as my boyfriend very kindly brought me some baking potatoes last night, I tried to think of ways to use the leftover shredded chicken with a jacket potato. I ended up going back to that yummy turkey meatball recipe, and threw one person quantities of the ingredients into a pot (don’t ask me what they were, I just guessed) and threw some of the chicken in and let that simmer down while I cooked a jacket potato in the microwave. It was really tasty! It took all of 15 minutes to make. And went down a treat!
Doesn't look pretty, but it tasted good!

So I’ve managed to figure out a few things I can make when I’m lacking spoons (figuratively, not literally!) that doesn’t involve raiding the diminishing stash of stuff that I’ve put in the freezer. And I think I’ve had about 2 more spoons today than yesterday. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment