Sunday 2 March 2014

Cooking with Leftovers

One of the perils of usually cooking for one is that inevitably, you end up with leftovers. This is both a good and bad thing. Good in that you get an extra meal that is already cooked, and well, it’s cheap. The bad thing is that you can end up eating the same thing for days on end, which can become boring. And when your experiments are brilliant (such as my attempt at rice pudding), you’re eating something that isn’t brilliant over and over again to use it up.

A few weeks back, I had cooked a pork tenderloin, which turned out to be much bigger than I thought. I put the leftover part in the freezer, but decided it was time to take it out and do something with it. I looked around on-line for what to do with it, but almost everything I was coming up with was for using up leftover pork roast, not braised pork tenderloin. So I kind of improvised a sort of stew.

I chopped a carrot, and put it in a pot with a bit of olive oil and some onion and garlic powder. I let that cook until the carrot softened. Meanwhile, I chopped up the defrosted leftover pork. I put that in the pot, then added a cup of chicken stock, a bit of flour, some thyme and some black pepper.


I brought that to a boil, then turned it down to simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes. I peeled and chopped a potato and put that in another pot to make mashed potatoes.


It was pretty good actually and made loads. So what did I eat for lunch the following day? Leftovers.
Not bad for something I just sort of invented

Last week I cooked up another turkey drumstick in my slow cooker. This one had loads of meat on it, and I was pretty much eating turkey for lunch and dinner every day last week. For me, that is no bad thing as I love turkey and I know that turkey is not just for Christmas. Then I made a big pot of stock from the bone. Considering my butcher charged me all of £0.99 for that turkey leg, I think I've had my money's worth!

One thing I made was a sort of turkey soup with rice noodles. I chopped up a carrot and cooked it until it softened in a bit of olive oil. I added some chopped cooked turkey, onion powder, garlic powder, salt (as I don’t add it to my homemade stock), black pepper and ginger and brought it to a simmer. Once that was going well, I added some spinach. I boiled up some rice noodles separately, gave them a good rinse with cold water, then added them to the pot.

Very tasty the first time around.

It turned out rather nice. It made me feel like I was eating some kind of variation of Vietnamese Pho, but without the coriander and the variety of veg one would usually get. I made too much again though. The problem with leftovers from this one is that rice noodles really don’t reheat very well. They kind of go to mush. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment