Thursday 27 February 2014

Someone Didn’t Get The Memo . . .

I received this at my parent’s last week . . ..

My mother forwarded to me because she knew I would find it funny. And it is.

For two reasons.

The first is that I haven’t lived in Ontario for over 7 years. I’m registered as a “non-resident” for tax purposes in Canada, and when I traded in my Ontario driver’s license for a UK one in 2008, the Ontario one was sent back to the Ontario Ministry of Transport. One would think that these various government departments would talk to each other, but alas, that’s not how things work. I also received an invite to get my photo taken for an Ontario Health Card a few weeks ago. I think I’m one of the only people who still has the old style red and white ones. Not that it’s valid anymore, I don’t live there! However, if they are insistent that I’m eligible for OHIP, this could save me loads on travel insurance!

The other reason why I find this funny is that my cervix and I departed company just under 5 years ago. Really, they are welcome to screen it, but they will need to contact the pathology lab at a particular West Midlands hospital to see if they still have it, because I certainly don’t!

I almost felt denied when instead of getting a letter like the one above, I got a letter from my PCT a year after my hyst saying that they were taking me off the list because they had been informed of my hyst. I was rather looking forward to writing a cheeky letter telling them not to bother with me anymore. Now’s my chance! :)


Getting these letters is a frequent discussion amongst women who have had hysts. Some find getting them funny if they are of a particular sense of humour and see not having to go for Pap smears as one of the perks of having a hyst. We often joke together about what our responses to these letters would be. Of course, the opposite is true for other women who have had hysts, especially if it was not their decision or if they are still grieving the loss of a part of themselves and/or their fertility. Getting one of these letters can be a horrible reminder of what they have lost.

I rather like the fact that I don’t have to go for smears anymore, it’s one less medical procedure to put myself through. But I don’t doubt the importance of it for women who still have their cervix. It can save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment