Wednesday 12 February 2014

More Experiments in Braising

I made a big batch of chicken stock in the slow cooker this week, and realised afterwards that not only had I run out of containers to put it in, with all of the cooking I’ve been doing, I’ve run out of room in the freezer! So seeing as the weather is absolutely foul out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26153889, I spent part of the day in the kitchen using up the stock that I don’t have room in the freezer for. I also spent the day watching the garden fence gradually fall down in these high winds. I really need to ask my neighbours whether or not the fence on that side is theirs or my landlord's!

So I made a big batch of sweet potato and carrot soup using the recipe from this post http://foodlovingcrohnie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/experiments-with-sweet-potatoes.html (although with much less coriander this time) and used half of it in that. I had a friend visit this afternoon who highly approved!

As I had taken some chicken breast out of the freezer, I needed to use it up. I’ve been looking around for more braising recipes and decided to give this one a go, with a few adaptations. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/braised-chicken-thighs-carrots.html As I was only cooking for me tonight, I reduced the quantities.

Here’s what I did -

I used one rather large skinless, boneless, chicken breast and cut it in half to get two meals out of it. I dusted them in flour and seasoned with a bit of sea salt, pepper and a bit of paprika. I browned them in about 2 tsps of olive oil for about 5 minutes on each side. Then I removed them to a plate and covered them with foil.

I peeled and chopped a carrot and a potato and put those into the pot with some onion granules. I let those cook for about five minutes, then added a bit of flour to coat, then added about 330ml of homemade chicken stock (I don’t put salt in my homemade stock, so if you are trying this yourself, you will need to adjust salt to your own taste).


Then I brought it to a boil, put the chicken back in, seasoned with a bit of dried thyme, popped the lid on and turned it down to a simmer. I let it simmer for 25 minutes, and voila, tasty chicken!




It was quite nice, and made enough with leftovers for tomorrow. The sauce was very thick though, so I think I will use less flour next time (the flour on the chicken was likely more than enough). It also could have used a bit more thyme, but otherwise, it was a rather nice dinner on a rather blustery day.

No comments:

Post a Comment