Tuesday 11 March 2014

Campfire Food from the Oven

As there are daffodils springing out of my garden, I think it is officially time to say that spring has come to England. Until winter returns next week, but this is England and the weather is always changeable.

This time of year always gets me thinking about plotting camping trips. Whether or not I will make it far in my tent this year is yet to be seen, but it is nice to think about. Last week, this got me craving “camp food”. Now this takes many forms in my world, and often involves cooking over open fires, which generally isn’t allowed in the UK, but fortunately I was able to adapt it to my oven.

For no particular reason, I found myself fancying a “tin foil dinner” or “hobo dinner” as some like to call it. I have no idea why, but it was what I fancied. I had some turkey mince out of the freezer, so it seemed a sensible thing to make.

I peeled and cut up a potato and carrot into thin slices and placed them on a piece of heavy duty foil. Then I took about 100g of turkey mince, mixed in about 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tbsp of bread crumbs to hold it together, ground pepper and about ½ tbsp of ketchup. I formed this into a patty and placed it on top of the potatoes and carrots, and seasoned everything with a bit of salt and pepper.


I folded the foil over tightly and rolled up the ends to seal it.


Then I put it in the oven on a baking sheet at 180C/350F for 45 minutes. After that I opened it carefully and dug in.


I would say that it tasted like camp, except that it lacked the smoke infused flavour and half burnt state that cooking on a campfire brings. Ah, memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment