Friday 28 March 2014

Even More Experiments with Sweet Potatoes

I’ve been trying to think of new and creative ways to serve up the very limited amount of veg that I’m allowed. I tried a few new things with Sweet Potatoes this week.

One was using this recipe to make Sweet Potato Wedges - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweetpotatowedges_83345.

I heated the oven to 200C, and peeled and cut up a sweet potato into wedges. I brushed a bit of olive oil on them, then sprinkled them with salt, pepper and dried thyme.


Then I roasted them for 20 minutes.
 They were rather tasty with the leftover turkey I had in the fridge.

Today, I got adventurous and made Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup using this recipe - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/824633/sweet-potato-and-red-pepper-soup

Peppers are one veg I like, but I was told that they were not “low-residue” because of the skins. After a chat with a friend about how to peel a pepper, I gave that a go, adapting these directions - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/de-skinning_peppers

I peeled and chopped up a sweet potato and put it in a roasting dish. Then I de-seeded the pepper and cut out the white bits. I put them skin side up on top of the sweet potatoes, and brushed everything with a bit of olive oil.


 I roasted the lot for 45 minutes at 200C.


When they were done, I used tongs to put the red peppers into a resealable bag and sealed them up. I left that to sit for about 10 minutes until the red pepper was cool enough to handle.


Then I peeled the skins off by hand. They generally came off pretty easily, but my hands got so messy that by the last piece, everything was just sticking together.


I put the veg in a pot and added some onion granules and about ½ tsp of cumin. I added about 300ml of vegetable stock and brought it to a boil.


Then I took it off the heat and blended it with the hand blender.


It was pretty good, but I think I added too much liquid as the soup was rather thin. I’ll have to cut that down next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment