Thursday 6 March 2014

Another Attempt at Rice Pudding

I decided tonight to have another go at making rice pudding. My last attempt wasn’t exactly a success. http://foodlovingcrohnie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/comfort-food.html. Edible, but not a success.

I decided to try the stove top method this time. I had a scour around for a recipe using almond milk and that would only cook up a small amount (you wouldn’t believe how many recipes called for 7 cups of almond milk!!!). So I tried this one. http://www.meatlessmonday.com/recipes/almond-rice-pudding/

I left out the cardamon as I don’t have any, and I left out the raisins as I’m allergic to grapes (yes, seriously, I am allergic to grapes!).

I heated the almond milk as directed, then added the rice, cinnamon and nutmeg and gave it a stir.

The cinnamon kept getting stuck up the side of the pot
 It didn’t say whether or not to leave the lid on, so I did. Two minutes later, this happened -
Umm . . ..

Oh dear. So I took the lid off, and let it cook for about 15 minutes until most of the almond milk was absorbed.

I think this is what rice pudding is supposed to look like?

As dinner wasn’t ready when this was, I turned the heat off and put the lid on. By the time I scooped it into a bowl, it looked like this.


Looks like mushy Rice Krispies

It rather looked like soft Rice Krispies being mixed into marshmallow for Rice Krispie squares. Unfortunately, it didn’t taste like Rice Krispie squares. In fact, it tasted awful and the texture was worse, akin to mushy Rice Krispies. I tried adding some maple syrup, and that didn’t do it. And that’s saying something, because maple syrup fixes just about any dessert disaster.

So that was binned. And I had lemon sorbet for dessert instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment