Monday 10 March 2014

Adventures in Pasta Making Part 4

I had another go at making pasta last week. Part of the motivation to mess around with the pasta maker again was a big craving for Dairy-Free Alfredo http://foodlovingcrohnie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/experiments-in-pasta-making-part-3.html. Generally, this batch of pasta went okay until it came time to cut the strips of pasta into tagliatelle. It kept mushing itself together as I tried to cut it. I now realise that it was meant to dry for a bit before running it through that part of the pasta maker! It all stuck together, but it was still tasty!

I still had quite a bit of pasta dough left over, so I had another go at making ravioli, this time with beef. Being a kitchen gadget obsessive, I bought myself a ravioli stamp, and this seemed the perfect excuse to use it.

I used extra lean mince, and browned it in a bit of olive oil.

I then added onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper and oregano. Then I added some tomato puree and some breadcrumbs to hold it all together. Don’t ask for quantities, I just put everything in until it seemed right!
After mixing that together, I then put it on one layer of pasta by the spoonful.


Lots of the meat kept escaping, I clearly needed something more to hold everything together! Then I put another layer of pasta on top and used the stamp to cut them.

Voila! Ravioli! Giant Raviloli!


I put them in boiling water for about 4 minutes until they floated to the top, drained them and served them with tomato passata.



I even had enough leftover for the freezer. Only enough for one more meal mind you. I have to say, making pasta from scratch is a lot of work for not a lot of leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment