Sunday 6 December 2015

Every Day is Different 6 - #7DaysofIBD

Today has been about trying to catch up with life while work snows me under. I managed a bit of work on my long suffering post-grad work and otherwise spent the the day doing housework. But I thankfully managed the energy to cook up some festive treats. Tonight is the first night of Chanukah, and that means only one thing - latkes!!!

I'm not Jewish, but I love Jewish food and I like having a little Chanukah in my Christmas, so making latkes is a holiday treat for me.

This is the low-residue version I made today.

Peel and grate a good size potato.


This is always very messy. Shredded potato sticks to everything! Next put the potato into a colander and rinse under cold water. Then push as much of the liquid out as you can with your hands.


Transfer to a bowl. Add 1/2 tbsp of onion powder (to replace the chopped onions), 2 tbsp of flour (gluten free flour works well too), an egg and salt and pepper to taste.


Mix it all together until well blended.


Heat about 1/4" of sunflower oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Spoon mixture into the oil, and push down to make a pancake shape.


Flip them over when the edges start to go brown.


When they are cooked, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on several layers of paper towel.


Serve with applesauce and soured cream.

I had mine with some roast butternut squash and roast venison tonight. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment