Wednesday 4 June 2014

Chocolate Cinnamon Cake

I’m back at work full time now and have been too knackered to do much kitchen experimenting or keeping up with this blog. I’ve been meaning to post this recipe up for several weeks, but hadn’t managed to get around to it until tonight. I had taken pictures of the process, but then realised after I had deleted them off my camera that I hadn’t loaded them onto the computer first.



So you’ll have to do without pictures!

We had a cake fundraiser at work a few weeks ago for Macmillian Cancer support and this was my contribution. I rather like the combination of chocolate and cinnamon, so this recipe rather appealed to me - http://silk.com/recipes/chocolate-cinnamon-cake

Here’s what I did -

I pre-heated the oven to 200C/400F, and greased a 9x13 cake pan.

I mix the following dry ingredients together -

2 cups of flour
1 ½ cups of white sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon

In a saucepan, I melted 1 cup of dairy free margarine (I used Stork margarine).

Then I added 4 tbsp of cocoa powder and 1 ½ cups of almond milk.

I brought the pan to a rapid boil, then removed it from the heat.

I then poured that over the dry ingredients.

I then added 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of rice vinegar and 2 eggs and mixed well, then poured it into the pan.

I baked it for 25 minutes.

While it was baking, I was going to make the icing according the recipe (as I still need to re-gain weight, I figured there was no harm in that!). Of course, I would be leaving out the nuts as it needs to be low-residue.

I went to fetch the ingredients out of the cupboard, and realised that I had barely any icing sugar left. I thought that I could make some kind of a chocolate glaze with it, but then realised that I had used up most of the cocoa. Oh well, it will have to go without.

So along with cocoa, I made sure that I put icing sugar on my grocery order (one of the only positives of the last 6 months has been the discovery of Sainsbury’s home delivery. Nothing like doing your grocery shop in your PJ’s!) When I was putting the groceries away the following day, guess what I found -




Oh well. I have lots now and really need to do more baking!

Overall, this recipe was fairly good, but I will say that the cinnamon flavour wasn’t particularly strong, and next time round, I would add more than a teaspoon. And it was perfectly fine without icing. Especially with this -

The ultimate comfort food combination
Yes folks, that’s ice cream! I actually ate ice cream! And it didn’t hate me! Clearly, I’m moving up in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment