Monday 16 June 2014

Marinades

I played around with some new marinade recipes this weekend, one for Bambi venison and one for chicken. I had to make a few adjustments to make them “ low residue”, but generally they turned out pretty well.

Normally, I don’t marinade venison because I actually really like the taste of the meat, but I came across this recipe  - http://www.food.com/recipe/venison-steak-marinade-119158 and thought that it was worth giving it a try.

Using two venison steaks, this is what I did -


In a small jug, I mixed -

1 ½ tbsp of olive oil
½ tbsp of lemon juice
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of fresh ground pepper

I put the steaks into a resealable bag and poured the marinade in. I sealed the bag and left it in the fridge for six hours.
 When it came time to cook it, I let the steak come up to room temperature for about 40 minutes. I pre-heated the grill on high, then seared the steak on each side for a few minutes, then turned the heat down to medium and cooked it to medium. I served it with steamed potatoes and carrots. I forgot to take a picture of the final result, but it was tasty!

The other recipe I tried this weekend was for chicken. This one came out of the Co-op’s Food magazine. I adapted the recipe like this -

In a small jug, I mixed

1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp of clear honey
½ tbsp of lime juice
1 tsp of garlic powder
½ tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of all spice
½ tsp of chilli powder



I removed the skins from 4 chicken drumsticks and put them in a casserole dish. I cut deep slices into the chicken.
 
I poured the marinade over the chicken and put the lid on it and left it in the fridge overnight.

I pre-heated the oven to 180C/350F, and put the chicken in the oven to cook for 40 minutes.


I served it with rice and steamed carrots. Very tasty!

I think this is two more for the keep box! 

No comments:

Post a Comment