Wednesday 30 April 2014

Chicken Tandoori

In one my early posts, I said one of my new definitions of hell was not being able to eat cheese in Paris. One of my other definitions of hell is being on a low-residue diet when there are 8 curry houses at the end of my road. That’s right, 8. Not that they are all good, but there’s lots to chose from. And every evening coming home from work, all I can smell is the wonderful aroma of curry. And I haven’t eaten it for months and months and months. Sigh.

I keep meaning to ask the dietitian what she tells her South Asian patients to eat on this low-residue diet thing. Eating Western food on it is bad enough, but I often wonder how someone who primarily eats a South Asian diet manages, especially with the amount of onions and lentils that are such a big part of that cuisine.

I came across this recipe when I was searching for low-residue recipes several months ago and had book marked it for future reference. http://www.musgroveparkhospital.nhs.uk/wards-and-departments/departments-services/diagnostic-imaging-%28scans-and-x-rays%29/low-residue-recipes/chicken-tandoori/
As I wasn’t getting dairy down until fairly recently, I didn’t give it a try until last week.

As the recipe is for four, I quartered the quantities to make it for one. Here’s what I did.

I used 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast. In a bowl, I mixed the marinade. I only had Greek yogurt, so I spooned a bunch of that into a bowl (I didn’t measure). I added 1/8 tsp of ground ginger, 1/8 tsp paprika, 1 tsp of mild curry powder, 1 ½ tsp of lemon juice, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/8 tsp of garlic powder.



I pricked the chicken breast all over with a fork, then poured the marinade over the chicken. I put a lid on it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day, I preheated the oven to 160C/325F. I removed the chicken from the marinade and put in on a rack over a pan (I just used the grill pan). I spooned over the remaining marinade and cooked it for 1 ½ hours.


I served it with a big pile of rice.

It wasn’t bad. I definitely used way too much yogurt and there was tons of marinade left over. It was very very mild, so I didn’t find it particularly flavourful. Not that I like my curry hot, but I like it to have a bit of kick. I would probably use more curry powder and paprika next time. But overall, it was good enough and I think that I will give this one another try some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment