Wednesday 23 April 2014

Beef Mince Hot Pot

I had taken some mince out of the freezer last weekend and couldn’t decide what to do with it. While trying to take a badly needed nap (and once again, failing to sleep), I thought that I would have a go at doing a low-residue version of hot pot. I don’t want to call this Lancashire Hot Pot, as I am nowhere near Lancashire and I suspect that anyone from those parts would consider a low-residue version rather sacrilege.

So I looked around for some beef mince hot pot recipes and decided to adapt this one -http://goodfoodshared.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/minced-lamb-hot-pot.html

I made this just for me, so I altered the portions for one person.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.

I chopped a carrot and cooked it in a bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes.


I browned about 125g of extra lean beef mince in a frying pan. I added some onion and garlic powder, some thyme, rosemary and some fresh ground pepper.


I then tossed in about ½ tbsp of flour, then added ½ cup beef stock from part of a stock cube. I stirred it until all of the flour was dissolved and let it cook until it thickened, for about 10 minutes.

I then transferred it all to a small casserole dish. I peeled and cut a potato into very thin slices and topped the beef with those.

I melted some margarine and brushed the potatoes with it.

I put everything in the oven for 35 minutes until the potatoes are starting to brown.
And there you go, Beef Mince Hot Pot.

It wasn’t bad, although I had far too much potato for the size of the dish. I may do this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment