Saturday 23 May 2015

Best Ever Brownies?

Last weekend, I decided to do a bit of baking, and came across this recipe, which claims to be the 'Best Ever Brownies - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1223/bestever-brownies

 With a claim like that, it was worth trying out.

 I pre-heated the oven to 180C/350F.


 I more or less followed the recipe exactly. I put 185g of margarine and 185g of plain chocolate into a microwave safe jug.



 Then, I melted it in the microwave on on for two minutes, stirred it until completely melted and let it cool.

 In a separate bowl, I mixed 85g of plain flour with 40g of cocoa powder. As I'm too lazy to sift it, I gave iit a good stir through to get the lumps out of the cocoa.



 I then chopped 50 g of milk chocolate and 50g of white chocolate into chunks.
 I pulled out the mixer and beat 3 eggs and 275g of granulated sugar on high for about 5 minutes until it doubled in volume.



 Then I poured the melted chocolate into the eggs and sugar.

 Using a spatula, I folded the chocolate into the eggs. I like that the original recipe gives basic directions on how to do this, as a lot of people don't know how to 'fold' into a recipe.




 Then I folded in the chocolate chunks.

 I poured it into a prepared 8"/20 cm pan and gave it a little side to side shake to get the bubbles out.


 I put it iin the oven for 25 minutes as directed by the recipe.

 I checked with a toothpick (and with the method the recipe suggested of shaking it from side to side to see if it still wobbles), and put it back in for another 5 minutes. Then I repeated this three more times. In total, I cooked it for 45 minutes. Their timing was really off!



 I let it cool, but clearly not enough when I cut into it as I kind of made a mess.

 I gave it more time to cool before trying to cut it into something resembling squares. You can see how much stuck to the pan. That's despite a non-stick pan and liberally greasing it first.



 So, are they the 'best-ever brownies'? Well, they're good, but I wouldn't say they were 'the best'. What I shouldn't have done was taste test them right before bed as all that sugar and chocolate kept me up half the night!


No comments:

Post a Comment