Monday 28 July 2014

6 Months On Humira - Or the Art of Spoon Conservation

A few weeks ago marked the six month point in my relationship with Humira. I haven’t talked too much about my experience with this drug, in part because it (thankfully) hasn’t been anywhere near as dramatic as my relationship with my frenemy, Prednisolone. So far.

I wrote about starting Humira back in this post - http://foodlovingcrohnie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/here-goes-nothing.html. It was a very difficult and anxiety filled time, and I had to jump through a lot of hoops and have a lot of fights with the hospital (which included effectively firing my consultant) to try this route. Humira is a “biologic drug”, and as the “biologics” as they are often referred to are the new kids on the block, they are horrendously expensive, so the NHS doesn’t exactly dole them out willy-nilly. Unlike Prednisolone, which is so far off-patent that it is cheaper than chips. Granted, they do completely different things, but the difference in cost between these two drugs is the difference between a 1995 Ford Ka and buying a brand spangley new 2014 Range Rover. There is no comparison when it comes to money.

So on 10th February, I started Humira under the supervision of not one, but two different home visiting nurses to see if I could inject myself properly with the stuff. There is no option for this stuff to come in a pill form as your digestive system will kill it - it’s inject or nothing. They were both lovely, and were especially gentle with someone who was a ball of nerves. It’s not that I have an issue with injecting myself. It’s not pleasant, but it could be worse. But 2 ½ months into being tanked up on Pred, I was frankly, bat-shit crazy, and I wouldn’t have trusted me with something sharp at that point, and I’m not sure they fully did either.

The other reason they send nurses out for your first injections is because there is a very real risk of people having anaphylactic reactions to the stuff. Considering my history of allergies, especially drug allergies, the first nurse expressed real surprise that I didn’t have my first injections in the hospital clinic rather than at home. She said that she normally left the emergency kit in the car on visits, but with me, she came in fully armed with adrenaline shots and portable oxygen, telling me that with my history, she figured this would actually be more of a comfort to me to have it handy rather than it totally freaking me out like it does most patients. She was right.



Fortunately, I didn’t need it. And so far (touch wood), I’m getting on okay with Humira. At the very least, it got me off the Pred, which was the goal, and it seems to be holding things in this biochemical remission steady. And in the grand scheme of the very scary side-effects list for this drug, I’ve gotten off pretty easy.

It has made my eczema a bit worse (especially on my face, bleurgh), but being someone who has had eczema pretty much since birth, that’s quite manageable. As long as it stays as dry eczema (wet eczema is nasty and needs medication), it’s just a matter of slathering on large quantities of lotions and potions, and I’m already on good terms with Epaderm/Aveeno/Shea Butter anyway. 

The injection site bloody hurts. Stings is probably a better descriptor. But it stings like hell. Following the advice of the nurses and various online forums, keeping the stuff out of the fridge for an hour before hand and freezing the hell out of the injection site (the abdomen, in my case) for at least 20 minutes before hand and 20 minutes afterwards helps, but it will continue to sting somewhat for at least a day afterwards, especially if I accidentally inject it to close to where the waistband on my jeans rubs. Ow.

But the biggest problem is that it makes for you feel truly awful for 24-36 hours afterwards. Truly, utterly, bloody awful. Imagine having the flu. Like the proper flu. The “I-can’t-move-off-the-bed” kind of flu where your whole body hurts, even you hair. But take away the fever, runny nose and coughing. Like that.


Bloody awful.

And if you have proper flu, I need to stay far away because Humira is a powerful immunosuppressant.

 
And it makes me cold. When these chills first happened, I was worried I was running a fever. But nope. It makes me cold. This was my temperature this morning around 11:30 –


Seriously. And no, I did not have a cold drink or ice cream first. It’s still stupid hot out and I’m wearing a hoodie and sitting with the heating pad on my back for the muscle ache. Brutal.

The feeling like crap thing is apparently almost universal with Humira users. The side effects leaflet lists this as a “common” side effect, affecting at least 1 in 10 people. A look around on social media or a chat with a nurse familiar with the stuff will tell you that this is pretty universal. I was warned. They were right.

6 months on, I can’t say that I’m any more used to it, but I would say that I’m more prepared for it. I pretty much have to schedule things around this 36 hour period to save myself a lot of hassle. Initially, I was having the injections every other Monday morning as that was when the first nurse came. I moved that back to Sunday evenings so that I could at least attempt to sleep off the worst of it. And now that I’m back at work full time, that involves having to re-work a lot of things around it. My manager has fully agreed to me working from home on those days, and I try to work it so that I’m not doing anything particularly taxing on those days, just things like proof-reading my written work, or reading reports. And I’ve learned to make sure that I’ve done as much as I can around the house over the weekend so that I’m not staring at dust bunnies or a dirty kitchen while feeling sorry for myself, because it's enough just to get the rubbish out on Monday night. And I’ve learnt to cook enough food the day before so that all I have to do is re-heat things for dinner, or at most, make rice or a jacket potato to go with it. 

In effect, Humira has forced me into the art of what I call “spoon conservation”. For those of you not familiar with Spoon Theory, go here - http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

A search for "spoon conservation" will bring up pictures of spoon-billed sandpipers. Rather cute, really.

Effectively, I know full well that every other Monday, the cutlery drawer will be virtually empty, and I have to just accept that and work with it. Unlike when I was sick in the full blown Crohn’s flare, at least this has a schedule. And I’ll take it over Prednisolone any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment