Sunday 3 August 2014

Catharthis

One of the most unpleasant parts of this whole Crohn’s thing is the bloody nutritional supplements. It’s not the run of the mill ones of multivitamins and calcium supplements, which I will be on for the foreseeable future, it was the bloody Fortijuce.

This stuff is apparently good for you, or at least my dietitian said so. I still don’t believe her. Never mind that the taste is foul, it’s really just sugar-laden water filled with vitamin supplements. Truthfully, I would have preferred to have just added my vitamin drops to ½ cup of maple syrup every day. It would have had the same calorie count and would have at least tasted good. And it wouldn’t have given me the horrendous trapped wind that the supposedly good for you stuff does.


First five ingredients - water, glucose syrup, maltodextririn, milk powder, sucrose

I have a lot to say about this stuff, never mind the seeming monopoly their manufacturers seem to have on the procurement side of the NHS, but I’ll leave that for another time.

I stopped using the stuff a few months ago, with a cautious agreement from the locum dietitian, who told me that if my weight dropped again, I would be on the stuff once more. I had about half a carton left, which has been gathering dust and cobwebs in my kitchen since April.


As Friday’s weigh in at the hospital showed that my weight is almost back to what it was when I first started going to the clinic (still 1 ½ stone less than when this whole thing started, but so be it), I decided it was time to get rid of the stuff.

Yes, I know I need to clean my sink. I cleaned it afterwards.
I can’t tell you how good it felt to pour this shit down the drain! Good-bye sickly-sweet-gas-inducing-disgusting-tasting-Fortijuce! May you never grace my kitchen or my body every again!

The remaining bottles are now in their new fitting home of my recycling bin, which will be taken away Tuesday morning.

Good riddance!

No comments:

Post a Comment