Sunday 27 July 2014

Le Sigh . . .

It’s been bloody hot all week. And while I know that most Brits are celebrating continued sun and warmth, I’ve had it. I know it’s rare and I should appreciate it, but I don’t. I don't handle the heat well and I handle the sun even worse (not that I'm a goth or anything). It's not that I burn in the sun, it's the glare I can't handle, even with very dark sunglasses. I often tell people here that I moved away from Canada to get away from summers like this.

One thing that does come about with this kind of weather are bumper crops of summer berries. I have a garden, but don’t like gardening, so the only thing that is growing back there other than untamed grass and some bamboo like tree that is committed to taking over are wild strawberries and wild raspberries. The slugs got this years strawberries. The raspberries, however, are going crazy!






















I only got two berries off the plant last summer. This was today’s taking, with more still to ripen.



Of course the problem here is that when you are on a low-residue diet, you aren’t allowed berries. In part because of the fibre, and in more part because of the seeds. Le sigh. The only way I could eat them is if I pureed them and strained them through a very fine mesh. And I’m not sure I can be bothered for a small bowlful.

Any thoughts as to what I can do with them will be appreciated!

So to cheer myself up, I took advantage of a slight lull in the heat in the kitchen this morning (my kitchen window faces west, the evenings have been lethal!) and baked some chocolate chip cookies. Nothing special, just the bog-standard Chipits recipe -http://www.hersheycanada.com/recipes/en/recipe-details.aspx?id=3544&name=CHIPITS%C2%AE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies

But when I opened a new tub of margarine, I found this.

It looks seriously good! So now I need it to cool down more so that I can make cake!!

1 comment:

  1. You could always donate them to a deserving cause...

    Or just mash them through a sieve (line it with cloth and then bin the cloth to save on cleanup) and serve the juice over your cookies/icecream to cut through the richness

    ReplyDelete