Monday 11 July 2016

Baking Plan B

I have an unexpected evening off tonight. An evening off has become a rare thing as of late, so I rather treasure it. I made a batch of pesto for the freezer, and wanted to bake chocolate chip cookies. Then this happened -


Short of shortening!!!! Diaster!!

Okay, it's actually margarine, but you get my point. I can't 'halve' the recipe as it calls for an odd number of eggs and it's hard to cut an egg in half.

So out came my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and I found something needing only half a cup of margarine.


Brownies! Cue unsweetened Baker's chocolate from Canada and my Pyrex jugs to melt it.


Boiling water in the big one, chocolate and margarine in the other. I do own a double boiler, but don't remember the last time I used it as this is involves less mess and works just as well.


Then I mixed in the other bits and made Brownies.


1/2 cup margarine -melted
3 oz of unsweetened chocolate -melted
1 cup of white sugar
1tsp of vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup of flour
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Mix everything in order and pour into an 8" square pan. Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes.


Ta da! Brownies! Plan B is tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment