Sunday 29 December 2013

Why it Pays to Go to a Good Butcher

I have an awesome butcher. Not many women can say that, but I can! I moved away from the town next to the village where he is located at the beginning of this year and still make the 15 mile drive there once a month to stock my freezer. He sources most of his food from local farmers, he keeps me well supplied in the venison he gets from the game warden at the local estate, the quality of everything is top notch, and his staff are hilarious! After my near meltdown when picking up my Christmas turkey (which I still haven’t cooked), I figured that I needed to go back and rope them into helping me figure out what I can eat.

And I’m glad I did. Turns out the butcher’s best mate is also a Crohnie, so he totally knew what I was on about. He was able to lay it out for me.“Mostly poultry, I’m afraid! But you might want to try out some pork tenderloin as well.” Sounds like a plan. “Any chance there are cuts of beef I could get away with?”, I ask hopefully. “Not what we source,” he says. “You’d really be better off with venison as it’s so lean”. Sounds good to me! I LOVE venison. Half my freezer is full of it from the last deer they got in (I do mean that, by the way!). He gladly did turkey mince for me from Christmas leftovers, along with a couple of turkey drumsticks for the slow cooker and some pork tenderloin. I will be back!

If you're in the Worcestershire area, Pete the Meat is your man! http://petethemeat.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment