Friday 27 December 2013

Experiments with Turkey Mince

One of yesterday’s experiment’s with food involved making a big batch of meatballs out of turkey thigh mince. After the experience with mince turkey breast in tourtiere earlier in the week, I figured that it would be too lean to hold together as meatballs, so opted for thigh mince instead.

For the meatballs, I used -

500g of turkey thigh mince
1 egg
1/4 cup of homemade bread crumbs
A big dash of garlic granules
A big dash of onion granules



I made a big batch, frying half (in a very small amount of olive oil) to put in the freezer for future use in pasta sauce or whatever, and cooked the other half using this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/always-perfect-sweet-and-sour-meatballs-123240, which was linked through this website http://www.food.com/cookbook/low-residue-diet-cookbook-31173 which has suggestions for low residue diets.

It was bloody gorgeous!!!! And it went down really easily! *happy dance*

I adapted it slightly. The recipe calls for chilli sauce, which is obviously out of the question at the moment. (Ironically, sweet chilli sauce is something that I kept going through phases of really craving when I had rare good days before starting treatment.) So I substituted tomato juice. Following the recipe’s directions, I then added an equal amount of water, and then quickly realised that it wasn’t necessary and was far too watery. So I turned up the heat for about ten minutes to boil off some of the liquid. I used the brown sugar and lemon juice as directed, and added a generous dash of garlic granules. Upon taste testing, it needed a bit of salt and a bit of something else, so I added a bit of soy sauce (probably about a teaspoon and a half), which did the trick. So the quantities I used were -

12 oz of tomato juice
½ cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 ½ tsp of soy sauce
A generous dash of garlic granules
About 1 tbsp of cornflour mixed with equal amount of water to thicken


I cooked the meatballs right in the liquid, bringing to a boil, then simmered with the lid on for 20 minutes. I made a big pot of plain basmatti rice to go with it. As I said, bloody gorgeous! Between me and my boyfriend, we polished most of them off, and I have just enough left over for one serving in the freezer. A definite success and definitely on the “Yes!!” list.


Seriously tasty!

Turned out better than our attempt at dairy-free custard made with rice milk we made for pudding . . . Tasted good, but um, definitely not custard. It was like water. May need some adjustments, that one!

Better luck next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment