Friday 19 September 2014

Blood and Politics

In my 10 ½ month “relationship” with the IBD clinic, I have had so much blood sucked drawn that I’ve gotten to know most of the regular phlebotomists. I know which ones are less likely to bruise and generally have a nice manner. I’m particularly fond on one fellow who has a very gentle and calming nature about him while also being quick and speedy at getting the needle in and the blood out with minimal discomfort.  Today, I wasn’t lucky enough to have him. Today, I had “The Temp”.


I was at the clinic for my once every three months appointment with the research nurse. I will do another post about the research study I’m enrolled on, but generally my involvement involves nothing more than having a bunch of additional blood work done and filling out some surveys. So after my brief appointment with the nurse, off to the blood lab I go, vials and paperwork in hand.

Today is also “the morning after the night before” of the Scottish Independence Referendum, so needless to that was a topic of discussion for most people.

“The Temp” who does my blood sucking work starts the conversation about the referendum result and quickly wanders into a big complaint about Prime Minister David Cameron and his policies. Now I won’t disagree about that, believe me, in my line of work, I have more than enough to say professionally about his coalition-of-convenience government, never mind what I have to say about him personally. She complains about the changes to Old Age Pension and the impending removal of the fuel subsidies for seniors and the end of free bus passes for over 60s. I completely agree. But then the conversation went like this:

The Temp: “I mean, I’m an OAP and I’m still working 16 hours a week, and all these immigrants . . . “
Me (interrupting): “Um, I’m an immigrant.”
The Temp: “ . . .All these immigrants come in here collecting all of these benefits leaving nothing for us . ..”
Me (interrupting): “I'm an immigrant.”
The Temp: “Well, no, you’re . ..”
Me (interrupting again): “Yes I am. Can’t you tell by the accent?”
The Temp: “Well, that’s different with you, I mean... um... you’re working . ..” (The only reason she knows this is because I’m wearing my work ID badge)
Me: “No, it’s not, I’m an immigrant. And you have no idea what immigrants have to go through to get into this country or that we are usually not entitled to benefits.”
The Temp: “Well, no, I mean, I don’t mean that. I mean, I’m not racist or anything, but . . .”
Me: “I’m sorry, but anyone who says those exact words has just proved themselves otherwise”

I have lost count of the number of times in my almost 8 years of living in the UK that I have had conversations with (almost always White) Brits that go like that. More than once I have had to call out people’s racist bullshit by pointing out that they are only saying those things to me because I happen to be White like them. And it truly and utterly pisses me off.

I have no patience for racism at the best of times, and I have even less for people who clearly hold racist views and then try to excuse themselves by saying “I’m not racist, but ...”.

However, I seriously have no patience for this from someone from within the NHS. There is absolutely no excuse for this in a publicly funded hospital that serves one of the most multicultural cities in the country. And seriously, has she not taken a look around at her colleagues? AT LEAST HALF THE STAFF IN THAT HOSPITAL ARE IMMIGRANTS, INCLUDING MOST OF THE DOCTORS!!!

Bloody hell woman, you are in the wrong job if you hold views like that. And I would also say that you are in the wrong job for doing this to my arm this morning.



So not only are you a racist cow, you’re also pretty shit at taking blood. Cheers for that.

And as much as I want you take those racist views and shove them somewhere unpleasant, I think the more fitting IBD thing to say would be that I want you to take those racist views and drink them down in a big glass of Moviprep. Hopefully the literal shit storm that will create will teach you to keep your racist views to yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment